Maybe I’m being a little overdramatic, but color is important. It’s one of the first and lasting impressions a visitor has of your home. Are you having a hard time choosing paint colors? I have some tips to think about when you get ready to choose:
- Don’t use too many colors – White and beige aren’t the only wall paint colors. It’s great that you want an actual color on your walls. Don’t use every color in the rainbow. Your room will look like a crayon box and headaches are a real possibility!
- Don’t go too bright – Stay away from the neon side of the color spectrum. You don’t want it to look like the circus is in your house. You may not die from it, but you never know.
- Buy yourself in paint – What? That’s what I said. Choose paint colors that reflect your personality. Don’t choose color based on what the trends are if that doesn’t fit who you are and what you love. You won’t be happy. Trust me.
- Decide on a complete color scheme – Don’t go out and buy that one color that you love for the walls and leave it at that. Choose the colors for your entire room. What color will the furniture, rugs, trim, ceiling, etc. be? Plan your design!
- Choose the correct finish – Matte and flat wall paint will hide imperfections, and glossier paint will reflect more light.
- Buy samples – When you have narrowed down your choices, but a few sample cans of each color that you like. Paint small squares (at least 12 inches) on the wall in the room you will be painting. Leave it there for a few days so you can see it in daylight and at night.
I’ll leave you with some color inspiration from Sherwin Williams:
Remember: Don’t use all of these together in one room!
If you need advice on how to transform your space, click here to take a look at my Design Hotline service. It’s a convenient and cost effective way to get help from an interior decorator. And, hey! Show me some love by leaving a comment or sharing my post with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, even Pinterest!
Copyright© 2015 Christina Rodriguez. All rights reserved.